Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page
On song Hornsea take the honours

PACE TO BURN: Winger Joe Barrett cuts inside to score under the posts for Hornsea (Picture courtesy of Carl Wiles Photography)


Hornsea RUFC - 39

Withernsea RUFC - 24


HORNSEA LOOKED in fine fettle in their first home game of the season defeating a hard working Withernsea side in entertaining fashion.

Hornsea took the lead after just four minutes with a try from full-back Jamie Maltas who jinked his way to the line to score out wide. Withernsea soon got back with a fine solo try by the impressive Dan Wardman who showed pace and power to score under the posts, which was duly converted to give Withernsea the lead.

The Hornsea forwards were working well as a unit and some strong drives took play close to the Withernsea line. Owen Kitchen picked up from the back of the ruck and crashed his way over the line, Jamie Maltas converted.

Hornsea captain Gareth Laycock was leading from the front and he was next to get on the scoresheet. Good interplay by the pack saw Laycock on hand to finish well from close range to give Hornsea a 17-7 lead.

Hornsea further extended their lead on the half-hour mark with a try from left-wing Joe Barrett. Barrett showed plenty of gas as he raced to the line before finishing under the posts, Jamie Maltas converted to make it 24-7 at the interval.
Withernsea started the second half brightly and the dangerous Mike Penny added to their tally just three minutes after the restart which was well converted. A well struck penalty by the Seahorses’ fly-half brought the score closer at 24-17 with Withernsea now just a converted try behind.

Hornsea knew they had to up their game if they were going to come out on top, and they did just that when Jamie Maltas ran 70 yards to score a cracking individual try.

Owen Kitchen scored his second try of the game on the hour mark powering over from close range to cap an impressive performance to give Hornsea a 34-17 lead.

Withernsea’s main threat Penny scored his second try of the game after 65 minutes to bring them back into the game, which was converted, however, this was to be their last score of the afternoon.

Hornsea controlled the final 15 minutes of the game with Joe Andrew and Mark Thomas dictating play well. In the final minutes Phil Walker pierced the Withernsea defence and drove towards the try line, tackled just short of the line, the ball was recycled and Andy Salvidge was on hand to pick up from the base of the ruck and crashed through two tackles to score a well-deserved try.

This was an entertaining coastal derby for the spectators with Hornsea mostly having the upper hand, taking their chances well to deservedly win the game.

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region