Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

Eastenders maintain momentum


Easington United 5

Hall Road Rangers Reserves 2


EASINGTON UNITED completed a second successive home win to move up to seventh in the Humber Premier League Division One table.

The Eastenders registered a 5-2 win over Hall Road Rangers Reserves at a breezy Low Farm.

Kris Fitzpatrick bagged a brace, with the other goals coming from Ben Wilbraham, Steve Jamieson and Brad Bowden. The locals could even afford the luxury of a missed penalty; Rangers keeper Sam King denying Wilbraham.

With Andy Graham and Ash Snaith absent from the previous week, manager Adam Jamieson recalled Chris Frost and Nathan Verity to the squad, although both had to content themselves with places on the bench.

The locals began on the front foot and only a last-ditch tackle prevented Anthony Barnett from getting an early shot away, after the skipper had combined well with Wilbraham.

On 15 minutes Dan Warcup did manage to shoot but too high, after the busy Karl Fitzpatrick had supplied the cross. It was the winger’s brother who then broke the deadlock three minutes later. Good play saw the ball moved left to right before Jamieson’s through ball allowed Fitzpatrick to race clear and slot home into the corner.

Having done little up to this point, Rangers levelled matters ten minutes later when Patrick Aganze dispossessed Warcup and crossed for Lewis Smalley to crash home; 1-1.

On 31 minutes the locals went close when Barnett headed Mountain’s cross against the post. A minute later they were back in front but in controversial circumstances.
A drop ball following an injury on the edge of the Hall Road six-yard box was contested by Wilbraham who then slotted home, much to the away side’s consternation. As a gesture of goodwill, from the restart the ball was directed to Joe Taylor and the keeper slotted it into his own net for 2-2! A simply bizarre couple of minutes.

It wasn’t long before the Eastenders restored their lead for a third time. On 35 minutes, Rangers failed to deal with a corner and in the melee the ball bounced nicely for both Steve Jamieson and Mountain to pounce, with the former’s foot appearing to gain the decisive touch.

When a defender was then somewhat harshly adjudged to have brought Barnett down three minutes later, it should have been 4-2. But King guessed correctly to deny Wilbraham.

After Oliver Vasquez had passed up an excellent opportunity for Hall Road at the start of the second half, Easington again took control.

On 56 minutes Blount teed-up Wilbraham whose shot was again well saved. Five minutes later the striker broke clear but this time lashed his shot well wide, a feat he repeated on 69 minutes. Two minutes later Warcup struck the upright before the decisive fourth goal finally arrived on 74 minutes. Again, the source was a corner, taken by Frost, flicked on by Mountain and converted by Bowden to mark his 100th first team appearance in style.

After Taylor had acrobatically denied Vasquez a goal, the scoring was concluded just three minutes from time. A trademark Wilbraham throw-in wasn’t dealt with and Fitzpatrick tucked the loose ball away.

Easington: Joe Taylor, Luke Jeffery, Dan Warcup (Nathan Verity, 78), Kris Fitzpatrick, Steve Jamieson, Danny Blount, Owen Mountain, Adam Jamieson (Chris Frost 61), Ben Wilbraham, Anthony Barnett, Karl Fitzpatrick (Brad Bowden, 68)

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region